Friday, November 13, 2009

Completed Dog Box

11/10/09 Part II



I consider the dog box project a great success. A little heaver than I had hoped at around 80 pounds but the strength and insulating properties both live up to my expectations. The pups love it and call it home as I have placed it in their kennel to keep them warm while I am at work during the day.

The painting process went well. I sprayed the finish and applied two coats of one part product over a two part primer. Be aware that if you use epoxy resin to construct your box, unlike polyester resin, the epoxy is not compatible with a one part primer. It can be confusing because the one part paint can be used with one part primer but you must also maintain compatibility with the substrate.

I will probably add some snaps on the side vents so I can attach a canvas cover over them when the temps become frigid. Bob Welch's doors already have a removable aluminum partition to close off the door from the weather. The top of the box has an inch and a half lip that I built in to allow placing items on top for storage and to keep them from rolling off. This has proven itself to be very useful for Ecollars, shell boxes, and all of the paraphernalia that we bird hunters require.

2 comments:

  1. Tim:

    A very tidy job... what did you use for insulation, and where did you put it - floor? Sides?

    Again, a nice job!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a gorgeous dog box. Would love to see more information about how you handled the lamination part.

    ReplyDelete