Friday, August 14, 2009

New Ranch - The Work Begins



I was fortunate enough recently to close the deal on a great 5 acre parcel of property that will be the new home to the family and I. The property has a private drive and is bounded on two sides with water. The property has alot of diversity for 5 acres. There is a 3 acre pasture that will be planted in grass and shelter belts, and about an acre and a half along a substantial creek that will be managed for native cover with food plots.The irrigation water is plentiful, so my first order of business after re fencing the property will be to get the grass cover, shelter belts,and food plots planted. I have been busy clearing and grading around the site and am preparing the food plot areas to be planted next Spring. I have quite a bit of Tamarisk removal to accomplish along the creek and am starting on that now. I plan to manage the property as a wildlife preserve and for bird dog training, and will raise Pheasants and Chukar to qualify the Ranch as an agricultural enterprise. At some point down the road I may start a kennel operation.

The property is a diamond in the rough. It has views of the Colorado National Monument to the South and the Bookcliff range to the North. I am truly fortunate to be able to own this piece of Gods creation. There are several coveys of Gambles Quail and a few Pheasants already established on the ranch and I plan to manage the resources to increase their population. You gotta love the opportunity we have to live the "American Dream"!










1 comment: