Monday, July 6, 2009

Summer Project - Insulated Dog Box, Part One

It seems I can never have enough construction projects going. Along with the construction management of the eight million dollar recreation center I have to finish this Summer, I decided to build a new two compartment dog box to keep things interesting. I am an avid boat builder and enjoy working with wood more than aluminum so I set out to experiment with some insulated composite panels. The knowledge gained using this system will certainly be useful in future boat building projects.

The procedure was to laminate 5mm Luan plywood to 5/8 polystyrene insulation to create the sandwich panels. These component panels were then assembled as the box. The adhesive used was West System epoxy and was also used as a coating to make the assembly waterproof. Fiberglass mat and tape was used on the bottom, corners, and handles to create extra strength and abrasion resistance. I tested a small sandwich of the assembly for adhesion compatibility prior to cutting and gluing the main panels, as polyisosyanurate is generally used for this application but is very expensive. My adhesion test showed the polystyrene insulation failed before the glue joint gave way, and that is all you can expect from a compatibility stand point.

I will be painting the assembly with Interlux yacht paint so a good finish requires lots of sanding. Sanding is the primary labor involved with working with epoxy. I once asked a renowned Carolina sport fishing boat builder if a guy with good carpentry skills could build a boat. He said you didn't need many carpentry skills, you just needed to know how to sand.

Here is the main shell ready for interior paint. I decided to assemble the top after the inside painting to allow for easier access.



Here is the box with the prefab aluminum doors dry fitted. I purchased my doors from Bob Welch over at Wing Works. He manufactures and sales a great line of vests and accessories and recently completed his own dog box project which was written up on the Living With Bird Dogs Blog. I highly recommend these doors if you are contemplating a dog box project.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really interested to hear about your project. I saw that one on Mike's blog and was thinking of trying it, but having an existing topper is going to make it difficult and I don't want to buy a new one. So, I was thinking of just making a dog box that occupied half of my truck bed, long-ways. There's aluminum, but I can't weld. And wood could look like junk...but not the way you're doing it. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete