Saturday, March 28, 2009

Spring Training

Spring training has been going for a few weeks now and I am pleased with the progress of my new Elhew Pointer. She is going to be on the smaller end of the breed standard but she attacks the cover with reckless abandon and is already holding a nice point.



I have started calling Gigi my "Pocket Pointer".



We are doing fly away drills and shooting alot over Gigi now. Her intensity is growing daily and she is holding some long points. I believe you can make a great bird dog with lots of repetition on the fly aways.



I decided to to break my 7 year old German Shorthair to wing and shot this Spring. She is already one heck of a bird dog and sucessfully hunts 7 species of upland birds every season. She has always held found birds for flush no matter how long it would take me to get to her, but until this year I have let her break on the flush.
Breaking a dog to be steady is the most diffacult part of training a Pointing dog in my opinion, but Sabrina is proving once again to be a great student.



One unexpected bonus from Sabrina's training to steady is a more intense pointing style. She now pulls her front foot on almost every point and rarely lifted it before. I like her new intensity.

No comments:

Post a Comment