Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Sky Island Paradise

to hand

To say that I was ready for some warm weather when Christmas break rolled around would be an understatement. Late December and early January locks the Western Slope into the coldest weather of the season and at my current project early morning sub zero was the rule versus the exception.

The long break between Christmas and New Year has become a travel opportunity for the family and I and our most recent tradition has been to head South to Southern Arizona for the holidays and some R&R. As is probably apparent by now, R&R to me means some serious wing shooting and Arizona fits the bill perfectly. I generally hunt from daylight until around noon when the temperatures reach the upper 60's to mid 70's. Then it is family time at the heated pool or a round of golf on the links with my son. Now let me tell you, that is living!

This year the hunting and the weather was exceptional. The high country on the border with Mexico is some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen. The people are friendly and our Border Patrol agents are working hard to keep it safe.

The Sky Islands are as unique an ecosystem as exists in this country. Among the Live Oaks and Grass live the secretive Mearns Quail. They are the perfect quarry for a Pointing Dog.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Birds hold well to point and Sabrina was in top form this year. Sabrina pins down a covey under a Live Oak.

Photobucket

Another covey with the opportunity for some blue sky shooting.

Photobucket

Working singles in the tall grass.

Photobucket

A hidden treasure not to be seen without a climb to the bottom of the canyon.

Photobucket

I shoot better with my sombrero on.

Photobucket

My favorite hunts are with my son Grant. He enjoys being with dad and seeing new things.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Many images remain burned into my memory from this great land, but those of the Sky Islands are the most frequently recounted on a cold Winters day.

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment