Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Visit To Dave & Fay Walker Kennels



Recently Julia and I took a father / daughter trip to Southwest Idaho to visit Fay and Dave Walker Kennels. Julia had been waiting patiently since early January for one of the Walker's famous Brittanys to deliver an orange and white female, but through repeated breeding's, the orange and white did not materialize. Fay advised me that she was going to hold on to a particular liver and white female just in case Julia could be persuaded to change her mind regarding color. I think I was as anxious as Julia for a new pup around the house so after a little persuasion, we were off to Idaho to collect a new bird dog for our string, and hopefully slip in a little reconnaissance mission for future bird hunting opportunities in Idaho.

The Walkers welcomed Julia and I as if we had known them for years, and I knew immediately upon meeting Fay and Dave in person that I had selected the right breeder. The puppy Fay had selected for us was everything she said it would be, a beautiful field trial or bench prospect. The walkers reputation for breeding and handling champion Brittanys comes from 30 years of dedication to their animals, and the continued enthusiasm they have for their animals is energizing. I was fortunate to be able to tour Dave's training grounds with him and pick up lots of pointers on his management of bird cover and raising and utilizing game birds for training. Dave, like myself, has a continuing habitat improvement project going on his plantation and it was good timing for me to be able to draw on his experience.

Julia & Dave Walker
Julia decided to name her pup Ginger, (With a little persuasion from Fay) after the pups Dam. So her registered name will be Snake River Ginger, in recognition of the beautiful area close to the Snake where Dave's plantation is located.


3 comments:

  1. That sounds like an awesome trip to be able to take with your daughter. What a great way to get a youngster invested in the magic of bird dogs. And Dave remains one of those mildly legendary figures in pointing dogs that I hope I get to meet some day.

    all best
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fay will never be forgotten. She was truly a special lady. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice blog I have really enjoyed keeping up with you on this blog.This is very useful post for everyone. Thank you so much this post.

    Dog Trainers Portland

    ReplyDelete