Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Three Generations On The Prairie


The North Dakota non resident Pheasant opener started October 18 and I couldn't remember when I have been more excited about opening day. Last year was a phenomenal season in the Dakotas. The reports this year were not as encouraging with the substantial loss of CRP due to emergency haying, and the lingering drought in the South West, but even an average season in the Dakota Territory is pretty impressive compared to other states.
The most exciting aspect of this year was not the Pheasant forecast, but the opportunity afforded me to hunt a few days with my dad and my 8 year old son. I was elated this year as my son was ready and willing to come along for a couple days, and Grandpa had accepted the opportunity to fly out and join us.
It had been a long time since I had hunted with my dad. I must admit that in years past I had taken for granted the time my dad spent introducing me to hunting and dog handling. But as I waded the prairie grass this October, and watched my son being introduced to the tradition of hunting so deeply instilled in our family, I felt a sense of appreciation for my dad I had not acknowledged in a long time.













No comments:

Post a Comment